Van Niekerk ‘definitely not’ in SA World Cup squad

Getty Images
  • 18 minutes ago

South Africa have confirmed former captain Dane van Niekerk will “definitely not be part” of their squad for October’s 50-over World Cup despite her inclusion on a training camp.

On Monday, South Africa announced a 20-player group that would participate in a home camp, with Van Niekerk reversing her retirement.

Van Niekerk, 32, retired from South Africa duty in March 2023, having been left out of the T20 World Cup squad earlier that year for failing “to meet the minimum criteria for fitness”.

She has continued to feature in domestic cricket, though has not played since March.

Van Niekerk said “time away has reminded me how much I have missed representing my country”.

However, on Friday, South Africa coach Mandla Mashimbyi said she was just part of the group so she can “understand what the expectations are”.

“She’s just part of the bigger or broader base of players that we’re trying to bring into our environment,” said Mashimbyi.

“She’s definitely not part of this World Cup. She’s not going.

“We wanted to bring her in and actually expose her to the environment.

“Hopefully she can carry on from here onwards and really understand how she wants to go about things. And then one day when she gets a call-up, you know, she can come in and have an impact immediately.”

Van Niekerk, who played the most recent of her 194 internationals in September 2021, said: “I know I’m probably not where everyone is at the moment. I understand where I need to be for the team.

“It’s going to be a lot of hard work, but I definitely wouldn’t have gone through all of this if I’m not willing to put that in.

“This is almost a baseline for me to really gauge where I’m at when it comes to the physical side, when it comes to the skill side, and all those things.

“Hopefully, I can have a clearer view after this camp. I’d know with the conversations we’ve had where I need to be in the next few months.”

After an ankle injury in early 2022, Van Niekerk attempted to return for a home World Cup in February 2023 but Cricket South Africa (CSA) said she did not meet the required time for a 2km run – rules which have since been relaxed.

She said she was “absolutely broken” by that decision and retired soon after.

South Africa start their World Cup campaign against England on 3 October.

Related topics

Verified by MonsterInsights